A Fork in the Road

Sis has recently decided to drop out of school. Despite what people may say I actually encouraged it. Before you scream and write me off listen.

I know her well enough to guide her as to what she should be doing. I am after all her older and much wiser sister. I knew she was struggling with classes. She was bored and totally unmotivated. She was simply going through the motion of what every high school graduate is supposed to do. But what if, like her, you don't know what you want to do? Are you still supposed to go to yet another educational institute and waste 10's of thousands of dollars of your parents money while you choose from the hundreds of degrees? Which then you are supposed to learn a trade by pictures and texts, which cost another couple hundred?

If you can, I'm an advocate of taking some time off after high school. Figure out what you want to do. Go travel and study abroad if you have to. I guarantee you, if you if you stick anyone who's been going to school since they could walk, into a 4+ year institution right after they are done with public education... they WILL be burned out. The outcome is going to be much worse. They might end up kaboshing the whole secondary education altogether. Then you're stuck with a burnt out college drop out who doesn't care what he's going to end up doing.

The only thing I can do for her at this point is support her, and I honestly do. I went through it. I dropped out of college for awhile and worked for about 2 years, before going back to school, fresh and eager to learn. I'm hoping she figures out what it is she needs to do. She doesn't have a realistic grasp on the opportunities out there, and she needs to figure out what a dollar means (which is diddly squat these days). I hope that she goes off to the corporate world and either figures out that this isn't for her, or finds her niche.

And I'm confident she will. I'm convinced that she's a genius that isn't stimulated enough or isn't given enough information about what is best for her. So... this is what I say to the world: She's all yours!

0 comments: